Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Hidden Dining Jewels in Suburban Bangkok: Casa Pasta


Update 29/6/2019:

Casa Pasta has gone through a refurbishment!



[Wah Lau Eh! Update] @casapastath One of my original inspirations to start writing about under-the-radar restaurants, Casa Pasta, has undergone a face-lift, probably necessary due to the sprouting up of spin-off/s and old age, though I do not know whether I love the new green/white-feel more than the previous European Tavern atmosphere or not. More importantly, the team has remained. I made a trip down to try, and thankfully, their classy half-moon pizza is still the same, as are the other dishes. So, a newer, brighter Casa Pasta pushing out plates of affordable Italian food that's better than most you can find in town, with the usual slight lack of plating-finesse and service precision. The new old Casa Pasta that I love. #casapasta #casapastabangkok #ilovemyhood #italianfood #wahlauehstampofapproval #italiancuisine #strangerinbangkok #bangkokfoodies
A post shared by Eddie Yii (@strangerinbangkok) on


***************************


Best Italian in Bangkok. well at least in Eastern Bangkok

Nestled 1km into Sukhumvit 101/1, Casa Pasta IS the best-kept secret in Bangkok. As I have said in previous posts, it's incredible how many excellent dining establishments are popping up at my doorstep, and if you like Italian food (like me), this should be a restaurant you shouldn't miss, no matter where you are located in this metropolis.


To be honest, it took me too long to discover this place. I drive past it everyday, but never felt the urge to go in. Its name did not mean anything to me (there are way too many local haunts serving overcooked spaghetti stirfried with salted fish and Thai basil), neither did its appearance from the outside. Little did I know that hidden behind its wooden sliding doors lies a cosy bistro that reminds me very much of those small restaurants I adore in Europe.

The atmosphere is spot-on

I would like to give a special mention to the chefs, who are all locals and seriously know what they are doing in the kitchen. The waitresses do not speak much English, but deep in the residential areas of Bangkok, I wouldn't have expected it any other way.

To concentrate too much on other aspects other than its food would be doing the place injustice. I have been there thrice, and aside of a thick slab of pork neck which looked (at least to us) just a tad undercooked (it re-appeared tasting better than ever), I have not tasted anything less than satisfactory to date. So here's a glimpse of what we had during our latest visit.

Half-moon, the absolute star in my eyes

Updated picture: Still great 3 years later in 2016

It is very hard for me to give a thumbs up to any pizza, I'm just not that big a fan of a circular dough with assorted toppings, but this one is really fantastic. Crispy thin-crust pizza dough filled with cheese, ham and truffle oil, this has to be the perfect starter this restaurant has to offer.

Linguine with white wine marinara sauce
Their pasta dishes have always been pretty impressive. The pasta is nicely al-dente and various sauces taste classy and authentic. There is no hint of fusion here, which is good news for me.

Updated 2016: Gnocchi with lamb ragout
Ravioli with Foie Gras and Pumpkin stuffing

Here's my chef's special of the day. 5 generously-sized raviolis stuffed with fragrant Foie Gras and sweet pumpkin, topped with a shaving of truffle, 1km deep inside Sukhumvit 101/1, you gotta be kidding me! I was trying my best not to mention how affordable food here is, but in case you are interested, this dish cost me 250THB (10SGD, seriously, it's time to quit that PastaMania addiction of yours).

Desserts at Casa Pasta don't disappoint too.

Smooth and silky Panna Cotta
The always dependable Tiramisu

I apologise for my pretty one-sided review of Casa Pasta, but there's nothing much to complain about this place. I have confidence that all my dining companions here would not have much to dispute with regards to all I have written. If we have to talk about the down-sides, it's probably the location (which is not an issue to me) and the possibility that any long instruction given in English might not be fully understood.

Otherwise, this Hidden Jewel in Suburban Bangkok might really be just too good to be true.


stranger in bangkok





No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever comments you have, please feel free to write them here! I appreciate receiving feedback of your feelings after reading my blog and I promise I will respond to your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...